Wednesday, 7 May 2014

How Important is Having A Mentor

I hate to admit it, but I've never actually had a mentor.

I've worked with a lot of people I admire and respect.  I've learnt from them, I've been guided by them, I've taken their advice, but I wouldn't really have ever termed them a mentor.

I suppose that's because I've always assumed there was a more formal note to it if they were a mentor.  It was a more teacher/student relationship.

Maybe these people were my mentor more than I realised.  I certainly learnt from them, and I certainly respected them.  More often than not, they were my boss, maybe that's why I never considered using the term mentor.

I certainly believe there is much merit in having a mentor.  Someone you can turn to for advice to help guide you, who wouldn't want to be part of that.

Maybe someday someone will look towards me as a mentor......far out, what just happened, that was a bit serious for a moment there.



Having a blast with Clairey Hewitt Blogging Every Day in May.

Do you have a mentor?  What invaluable lessons have they taught you?

Amanda

4 comments:

  1. I have had a couple of mentors, but mostly informal not formal work mentor relationships. My mentors have helped me become more assertive and guide me to become a better midwife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to come across someone else that feels they have never had a mentor, was worried that I was the only one who had missed out on a mentor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one and he was hot - so na na nana nah!!!!!! Seriously though, I just read his comment and it appears I was of some help to him, so maybe mentoring is about having someone to bounce ideas of, you've probably had one of those x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some people actively seek a mentor and build a professional connection and have an end goal. I find my mentor's in a much more informal way.

    ReplyDelete