Friday, 11 April 2014

The Pitfalls of Menu Planning

I'm off on one of my "I'm going to get organised if it kills me" missions at the moment.  They tend to come and go around here, and can often be seen making fleeting visits when I'm at my most hysterical.

My little jaunt that I'm on at the moment is "Menu Planning".  Ah yes, the joys of spending hours and hours pouring over recipes from my mountain of cookbooks.  Trawling through the thousands of recipes on taste.com and lets not forget in my previous bouts of organisation hysteria all the recipes I've torn out of magazines over the years because one day I'm going to make that!!



This latest effort of mine has been on a role for a whole week now - woo hoo.  And yes, I do have to admit it has made life easier this last week.  I haven't had to stare blankly at the fridge each night waiting for something to magically transform itself into dinner.

I haven't been screaming at the kids that it's too late for fruit, books, baths - and no it's not my fault we ate dinner at 8pm because I'd just spent the last 2 hours trying to find something that I can transform into "dinner".

Oh, now I better pre-face this all with the fact that I am not, I repeat, NOT, one of those fancy pants people that can magically look in their fridge, freezer and pantry and make a 4 course meal out of a chicken breast fillet, a stick of celery and a cup of rice - never going to happen.  Yes, I am one of those people that must follow a recipe - and if it's not in the recipe then it doesn't get added.  And if it's the recipe, and I don't have it, well then the recipe can't possible be cooked.

Get the picture - understand my daily dinner dilemma now peoples??

Of course it's very easy for menu planning to be thrown off course in my house - hence the reason it's only been on track for a week and my past ventures at menu planning often fade after such time.  Let me list a few of the pitfalls it's best to avoid when menu-planning:

1. Remember to take the meat out the freezer

2. Remember to buy the meat in the first place

3. Remember to write down the list of ingredients you need - no point having a menu if you don't have the ingredients - yes I know it sounds simple but trust me - it throws me off every time

4. Remember that the groceries don't magically arrive in your house - you have to buy them first (even if you shop online) - again, no point having a menu if you don't have the ingredients

5. Try not to get distracted by the pretty bottle of alcohol that is calling you when it's time to cook dinner - yes, this is another one of my pitfalls

6. Don't listen to the little voice in your head that keeps saying "I can't be bothered cooking - I think I'll have a nap instead"

Doh - gotta go, haven't taken the meat out the freezer!!!

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment