Tuesday, 8 April 2014

Homework Help

This homework caper does my head in.  In fact, I think I worry about it more than my kids do.  For Master H now in his 2nd year of High School it's all my effort not to just throw my hands up in the air and officially admit defeat.

Lets put the volume of homework aside for now.  Lets also put to the side the fact that we as parents have been there and done that.  Lets try not to think about the fact that now as an adult I realise it probably wasn't such a good idea to be totally across everything George Michael was doing, see every single movie that featured Molly Ringwald, Patrick Swayze or whoever else I was in love with when I was 13.  Anything to avoid opening my maths book.

How do you make a 13 year old boy understand that he just has to find the time to get his homework done. How do you make him understand that he needs to spend some time each night revising so he doesn't fall behind.  How do you make him understand that it's best not to leave his 800 word assignment to the weekend before it's due.  How do you make them understand all this when you did exactly the same thing yourself. (You did didn't you?  Tell me I'm not the only one who did this).


And of course when it comes to those pesky essays and assignments, lets not forget the joys of Wikipedia.  Wow, you can find the answer to any assignment or essay topic in Wikipedia.  It usually isn't the correct information, but that doesn't seem to matter to the kids, it's there, just waiting to be copied down.

I remember high school and I remember homework, but I don't remember having this amount of work so early on.  Are we throwing all this work at our kids at such a young age so when it comes time for the HSC (or equivalent), they aren't completely freaked out and overwhelmed because it's been that way since they started high school?

We all want our kids to get off their electronic devices.  We want our kids to have some time to be kids, to see their friends, to keep active and play sport.  But how do we manage this when every night they are faced with another mountain-load of work to do?

I wish I knew the answer, and if you do, I would love you to share and put this poor mum out of her misery.

Amanda

Linking up with the lovely Jess #IBOT




Subscribe to my newsletter here

10 comments:

  1. I thought you might have had an answer damn it! Luckily Miss 15 is very motivated but I forsee issues with Miss 5 who is far more interested than lunchtime than study.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - I wish I had an answer :) We had a little win today - Master 13 got a great result in his geography assignment which has inspired him - we'll see how long that lasts though. Don't even get me started on Master 9 - mind you, I'd be bored writing words out every night too. PS - random rambling - I see you are a Wollongong girl. I spent my childhood in Wollongong - my Dad used to work at the Uni - lots of fond memories.

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain. I would rather chew my arm off that supervise homework. Luckily, Miss 11 is like me, and is always keen to get her homework and needs little supervision. Mr 13 is on the spectrum though, and has always found homework a challenge. We have tried everything over the years. It really cuts into quality family time and causes a lot of stress. I really think after a day of coping with everything he's had to manage at school, the last thing he needs is more homework. I wish I had the answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I almost wish they had an extra hour at school and then little or no homework. You are 100% right - the stress is a killer.

      Delete
  3. My eldest has a huge amount of homework, but luckily for me, she just gets in and does it.
    My second has not much at all, ad just drags her feet. With both of them I just explain that there is no TV/playtime/devices, till it's done and then they usually do it. Faced with that choice it's in their best interest just to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seriously does my head in. And what makes it worse is most of it is computer based so it's so hard to know if he's actually doing homework or checking out the latest cricket score (trust me, doesn't even have to be summer and he can find a cricket game happening somewhere in the world).

      Delete
  4. Oh I wish I had the answer too. There seems to be so much more pressure on kids these days. I'm kind of dreading when my kids start school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's crazy. My youngest starts school next year - it's just becoming so over-whelming. And then I feel bad that maybe I'm not devoting enough one on one time to go through all the work with them, but dinner still has to be cooked, they have sport etc etc. Argh, it's gotta get better some time :)

      Delete
  5. My husband and I have spoken about this, about how we are ever going to get our girls to do do their homework, and not leave assignments until the last minute when it is exactly what we did! Now that we are older we wished we had worked harder and not done that, but if someone had said that to us at the time we would have totally dismissed them. If you find the answer, make sure you blog it!
    #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - I so agree. And yes, if I find the answer I will blog it. The amount of times I wish I knew then what I know now - Miami Vice wouldn't have seemed so important anymore :)

      Delete