Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Story Time

Help, my son has forgotten how to read.  It's true.  Books have always been a huge part of our life.  We have that many books we could almost open our own bookshop, and I've realised I honestly can't remember when my 12 year old last picked up a book.



As a toddler he loved being read to.  When he started school he was so excited to be able to read by himself.  He would come home from school every Monday and excitedly show me his readers for the week.

The excitement started to fade a little through the later years of primary school until by the end of Year 6 I don't think he'd picked up a book in months.  If it didn't have Diary of a Wimpy something in the title then he didn't want to know about it.

Fast forward to his first year of high school where he was expected to read a book called Trash and I honestly believe it would have been easier to get him to spring clean his bedroom from top to bottom rather than read even one page of that book,

In his defence, I did try to read Trash myself.  How bad could it be.  I'm a reader, I love to read, I read every day but I must admit, even I struggled with that one.

The kids all seemed to be going through a Hunger Games phase recently so I bought him that....nope.  He's got Beast Quest books, Skullduggery books, nope, not interested.

If they could just write some more Specky Magee books and Max the cricketer books I might then be in with a chance.

So what do I do?  In this age of gaming, TVs, iPods, iPads and laptops; when at school his entire day is spent working on a laptop, how do I get my son interested in reading again?   How do I show him there's an entire world full of fun and excitement in every page?  Do I just do nothing and wait for him to hopefully find his way back to reading again one day?

What do you do?  Do your kids still read or is it a battle?

Amanda

Linking up with

5 comments:

  1. Many boys seem to go through that, you could try getting him some magazines on topics that interest him. Borrow some from the library, it's free and you can see if that works at all. Because it is just small bit's at a time, this can often help. Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting post, as I'm just teaching my 5-year-old to read and it's SO hard - and the thought of her NOT reading is heart breaking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading, but have always gone through periods of reading a lot, or nothing at all. Maybe it's just that? He's having an off phase, but will get back to it soon? I hope so. No other tips sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 12 year girl doesn't read nearly as much as I would like her to either. Sigh. I wish there was an easy answer. Fairy wishes and butterfly kisses #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is interesting to read this as my son is only in the toddler years and we are only starting out on our reading path. I like Nikki's comment above though.
    Becc @ Take Charge Now

    ReplyDelete