Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Happy Mothers Day Mum

I'm feeling pretty excited about Mothers Day this year.  I'm flying my parents over from interstate for a couple of days so they can spend Mothers Day here with us.



It's especially hard for my mum now.  As many of you would know from following this blog, and just from your own personal experiences, when you lose someone close to you, special days are generally overshadowed by the milestone of "wow, another year since so and so" passed.  It adds a layer of sadness to the day which never really leaves, no matter how many years have passed.

So for us, it's been 3 years since we lost my brother, which means it's been 3 years since mum and dad lost their son.  There was another recent memorial/dedication in his honour this weekend in the Flinders Ranges which my parents travelled to.  It therefore felt extra important to do something more for Mothers Day this year so mum didn't come home from what was surely a difficult trip for them to make to a mothers day spent alone.

And so, I will get to spend Mothers Day with my mum for the first time in many years which will be nice.  The day will be spent travelling around to the boy's footy matches, but that's okay, at least we will all be together.  I figure we can even do a Mothers Day dinner the night before, surely that's not against the rules.

What do you have planned for Mothers Day this year?

Amanda


Linking up with Essentially Jess

10 comments:

  1. Really haven't got much planned at all. Wishing you and your mum a wonderful day, it would be lovely for her to spend it watching the boys footy. I hope it will lighten her heavy heart xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alicia, I hope so too.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely idea to fly them in! I am lucky that my mum and dad just live up the coast (I am in Brissie) and my brother who is only 20minutes away is having us over for lunch, always a great day and I don't have to do any work, yay! Hope you have a really lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki. Wow, your day sounds like it is going to be lots of fun - enjoy :)

      Delete
  3. I am sure your Mum will enjoy spending Mother's Day with you :-)

    This year, Mother's Day falls on my son AND my dad's birthdays so I think I will come last in the pecking order ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS I am having such a blonde day, forgot to say I'm visiting from #teamIBOT - I guess that's a good thing, means I'm liking what I'm reading and getting right into it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - thanks Janet. Wow, 2 birthdays and mothers day all on the one day. I wonder if you can postpone your mothers day to the Sunday after - LOL

      Delete
  5. How wonderful that you will get to spend the day with your Mum, even if it is spent running around to the footy matches, you are together and she will get to see her grandson's play. I say have a long extended Mothers Day, draw it out as long as possible, dinner the night before sounds like an excellent plan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey-Lee, good idea. I should make it a Mothers Day Weekend :)

      Delete
  6. Good on you for doing that!!
    I haven't really thought about mothers day at all. I suppose I better get planning!

    ReplyDelete