Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Kids Can Be Nice

Another day, another round of cricket.  This time cricket training for Master 7 year old.

His older brother of course did what he does best - whinge about how bored his is.  He seems to forget all the hours and hours his little brother has waited around for him while he has had cricket matches, cricket training, AFL matches, AFL training, Band performance, Band practice, Band tutorials.... and on and on the list goes.

As mother of the year I decided to sit on my behind and play on my iPad and give Master 11 year old the job of watching his 2 year old brother so I could do productive things like play on Facebook.

In the middle of the oval was a group of maybe 5 or 6 boys all playing touch footy together.  One of the older boys sauntered up to Master 11 and asked him if he wanted to join in.  You should have seen his face light up, it sure beat having to play with the 2 year old tornado.  Of course it also meant the end of my fun on Facebook, but that's okay.


I don't really know what it was about that moment, but I was really touched.  As a seriously shy child growing up I was so scared of groups of other children who I didn't know.  I would never have dreamed of joining in games with them.  It actually makes me think that I was probably too busy being worried about everything around me to just enjoy being a kid.

I loved seeing my eldest son run to join in the middle of their game like he'd known them all his life, and it was equally wonderful to see a group of other kids make him feel welcome.

Sometimes we are so busy being negative about "kids these days" that we forget to see the good things they do.

Would love you to share your great kid stories with us.

Amanda

2 comments:

  1. I love this. It feels so great to be included and welcomed, and this is a really nice reminder of the impact that can make xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elisa. My son was wrapt, and was still smiling when it was time to leave and head home.

      Delete