Sunday, 17 June 2012

Four In The Bed

One of the things we love most about Purely4kids is being able to meet the fabulous women behind the brands.  How did they start their labels, what do they love about it, what do they do?


Meet the beautiful Ellie - the name behind pyjama brand Four in the Bed.









We’d love a little insight into the world of Four in the Bed.  Can you tell us a little bit about you and your family?

I live on a small farm close to the township of Deniliquin which is located on the edge of outback NSW in the southern Riverina of New South Wales, about 3 hours drive north of the Victorian border. In our busy home there is myself Ellie, my extremely patient husband Lachie, darling daughters Georgia 6 and Lucy 4, two extremely spoilt cats, Mr McGee and Mr Abbey and our wonder pony Joey!


Where does the name Four in the Bed come from?

The brand name was inspired by the nursery rhythm of the same name. It came to me one 2am morning after not being able to sleep - thanks to two extra little bodies in our bed. I thought it was the perfect name for children’s sleepwear – a name all parents could relate to one way or another.



What made you start Four in the Bed?

I started the brand in 2010 partly to get my creative brain working again after “baby mania” but mainly out of sheer frustration of not being able to find classic pyjamas and nighties made in 100% cotton for my own girls. After bouncing the idea around my girlfriends I discovered I wasn’t alone. My pre-family career was in brand management. For over 15 years I worked in various marketing positions within the cosmetics, intimate apparel and prestige homewards industries and have always had ‘the dream’ to one day have my own brand.


What is the most rewarding thing for you about your business?

The lovely letters, pictures and facebook comments from customers letting me know how much they love their purchases. It makes all the stress and long working days worth while.xx


Where does your inspiration come from?

My childhood I guess. A lot of my designs are based on memories of what I remember wearing at bedtime as a child. And my girls, my number one critics. They are constantly putting forward suggestions for prints and colour combinations.




What’s next for Four in the Bed?

Well, I have just put-to-bed (pardon the pun) Autumn Winter for next year. And like all children Four in the Bed will be growing too – with increased sizing up to a 14.

Spring Summer is well underway and won’t be far off arriving.  The range is based on the idea of letting children be children and so I have tried to create a range accordingly - whimsical butterflies, divine striped broderie anglasie nightie and camisole short sets and a hint of floral for the girls. Not forgetting the boys and their love of all things mechanical – so it’s retro aeroplane and bicycle prints, tractors and ute for those country boys in classic summer pj styles.


If you could travel to anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

Oh Italy! I just love it. My godmother lives in Milan and I was lucky enough to visit her a few years ago. I was there for just under a month and had a quick taste of the north and south. I would love to go back and just explore slowly and soak up the culture. Bellissimo!



We hope you are as inspired by Ellie as we are.

Amanda



No comments:

Post a Comment