Sunday, 25 September 2011

I Have To Do Everything Around Here.

I had to laugh as my eldest son performed his latest "dying swan" act during the week.  I distinctly remember as a child thinking "I am NEVER going to make my children do chores!!" as I stomped around the house cranky at my mum because she had just made me clean my room - how dare she.



Hah, as if I'd think along those lines now.  I'd lie back on a chaise lounge with a book and a cocktail while the kids cleaned the house from top to bottom if I could get away with it.  How things change as we get older.



I actually think my boys get off pretty lightly in comparison to some.  My eldest basically only has one job - unpack the dishwasher.  Yes, you guessed it, that's the one thing I absolutely hate doing.  Loving that I can delegate that one.

My middle son in only 6 so I still let him off relatively lightly, and as for bubs, well he just causes carnage where ever he goes.

I still have to laugh though as Harrison acts like I've asked him hand over his most prized possessions.  Without fail my requests of "Harry, can you please unpack the dishwasher" are met with moans and groans.  He just stops short of hurling himself on to the floor as if his world has just ended.  I'm then met with 'Oh, I have to do everything around here!!!  Why can't dad do it, he does nothing!" 

That one really makes me laugh, especially when his dad is outside digging a trench to put in some extra drainage in the backyard - yep, does nothing.  Also makes me laugh because I can hear myself muttering those exact same words to my mum - "why do I have to do it!!  I'm never going to make my kids do things".  Hah, as if!



Do your kids help with chores around the house?  What age did they start?  Would love to hear from you.

Pictures courtesy of www.pinterest.com

3 comments:

  1. I've set up a chore chart for my kids - they still whinge though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate to that!
    However, I am still pinching myself (to ensure I am absolutely not dreaming) since my 11 year old delivered breakfast in bed this morning (and yes it was still hot!)
    Somehow, he seems to have turned this miraculous corner and has even decided to make the school lunches everyday...
    I am hoping that there is not some ulteriour motive here...in the mean time I will remain blissfully happy that all that hard work and training (aka nagging) has eventually paid off!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I seriously need to do more nagging then!!!!

    ReplyDelete