Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Grandparents

It's been a tough couple of weeks for me.  My grandmother, who I absolutely adored, passed away last week at the age of 96.  She was one of those truly beautiful people, on the inside and out. I've been remembering all the wonderful things we used to do together when I was a child and it really got me thinking about grandparents and how important they are in our kids lives.

Each school holidays I used to go and stay with my grandparents for a week.  It was such a treat and something I always looked forward to.  I was spoilt rotten and treated like a princess.  My grandpa would bring my grandmother and I breakfast in bed, we would go shopping and out to lunch.  We would have afternoon tea and she would make amazing treats like melting moments and lemon meringue pie.

This is really showing my age, but I remember being allowed to stay up late and watch the Don Lane show with them and we'd have cups of tea and bikkies.



My grandmother was always immaculate.  We used to joke how she wouldn't even go and check the mailbox without her makeup on.  She would be horrified if she knew there were some days where I barely get out of my PJ's to drop the kids to school.

As we got older my brother and I used to call round to visit her on our way home from school for a "snack".  There is something about grandparents - they always seem to have treats on hand for hungry kids, big or small.

Even as I grew up and moved away and had my own family I was still close to my grandmother and she just adored her great grandsons.  I was so grateful she got to meet little Nate before she passed away.

My own kids don't really get to have that same relationship with their grandparents simply because we live interstate and I worry they are missing out.  We visit often and obviously they are only a phone call away, but I know it's not the same.  I'm so grateful for all the time I got to spend with her over the years and I know I'm extremely lucky to have had her in my life for almost 40 years.  I will miss her dreadfully but I will never forget her.

Amanda


Photo from www.taste.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment