Wednesday, 29 June 2011

School Holiday Road Trip

As we all know school holidays are almost here and this time around I'm taking the kids on a road trip.  To be precise, a 10 hour road trip with 3 boys, one of which is only 15months old.

I know, I need my head read, again!  We're heading to the Gold Coast and whilst I know it would be much easier to fly, I had to weigh up the stress of dealing with airports, planes, taxis, luggage, and then not having a car once we arrived, and I opted for the road trip.

DH is staying home this time.  I think he's secretly planning to turn the house into a man-cave while we're away, which is fine with me as long as it's cleaned up before I get home.

As a child I remember driving from Wollongong, where we lived at the time, to Adelaide to visit our Grandparents.  There was mum, dad, my brother and I in some beat-up old Ford.  I often wonder how we ever made it.  There was one trip where we even had the dog and cat with us.......no comment there.

I look at all the things our kids have to keep them occupied now, ipods, DS's, PSP's, portable DVD players etc.  I can't believe my brother and I didn't die of boredom.  All we had was "eye spy" to play.  Which let me tell you, when you are driving across the Hay plain means you run out of things to "spy" pretty quickly.


I'm actually excited about tackling this trip on my own.  When we head interstate normally my husband is usually driving.  He is one of those people that just wants to get there.  The holiday doesn't start until we arrive.  Toilet stops are made begrudgingly (I'm sure he'd have us pee in a cup if he could), small towns are glimpsed only because the speed signs tell him he must slow down to 60k's, and Maccas stops are taken through the drive-thru, as long as there is no queue!  Last trip he didn't even stop for fuel, so of course we ran out and had to wait for the RAA.  Arghhhhhh!

For me, the trip starts as soon as we back down the drive-way.  The journey is all part of the fun!  I want to stop to look at little towns and have a wander.  I want my kids to understand there's a big wide world out there, outside of the capital city we live in.  I want them to understand that beef doesn't come from Woolworths, and that fruit doesn't grow in plastic tubs. 

The biggest challenge is going to be getting them to lift their heads up from their ipods and DS's long enough to actually look out the window.  I know I can't complain or whinge about it though.  It's a culture I've helped create by buying these things for them in the first place.  With any luck the batteries will go flat and they'll have no choice but to sing songs with me and play "eye-spy".

Wish me luck.

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment